Sunday 10 June 2018

Cuteness Overload: Animal Encounters at Asylum Lake

Yesterday, my friend Heather and I took an enchanting walk at Asylum Lake Preserve in Kalamazoo. All photos are by Heather Horst, since I left my cell phone at home. As we entered the trail, a turtle greeted us:

IMG_1401

We then said hi to David’s and my favorite tree there — the one we call Ganesha because it looks like an elephant on one side and a laughing old man on the other. Then we turned left and heard little squeaking and squealing noises, which we tried to identify. Moments later, it was me squealing at the cuteness overload:

IMG_1406

These little ones not only posed for us, they made frequent eye contact and performed for us, chasing each other around the trunk of the tree, then pausing to make sure we continued to watch. They swirled around the trunk, climbed over each other and then poked their faces in hide and seek fashion for several minutes. They finally got so involved in their own play that they swirled their way up the tree, and we wandered on to find chipmunks, blue birds and red wing blackbirds.

We also came across these gorgeous mushrooms:

IMG_1409

I always feel a strong Fae presence at Asylum Lake. David and I have hiked it many times in Fall and Winter, but this was my first time in late Spring. Everything felt lush and and delightful. So grateful for such ever evolving beauty only five minutes away!

All three encounters offered wisdom relevant to current situations in our neighborhood.

 



source https://laurabruno.wordpress.com/2018/06/10/cuteness-overload-animal-encounters-at-asylum-lake/

No comments:

Post a Comment