Monday 16 October 2017

Retiring “Schizandra and the Gates of Mu”

After long consideration and the recent appearance of the external sign I requested for timing, I have decided to remove my first novel, “Schizandra and the Gates of Mu” from distribution. For the past couple years, I’ve wanted to de-list this book, since I wrote it for a pre-2012 audience, and so much has changed since its 2009 publication. Every time I thought to take it out of print, though, I received the word, “Wait.”

I finally sensed the time had come and requested validation, which came in the form of a new review which expresses my own feelings — that this book “is a product of its time.” So many of the fresh and imagined things I included have now become mainstream or even cliche. Although the novel still works on a mythological level, when I left California and my entire life behind, I also left behind the intended series. I honestly don’t know if or when I will return to those characters.

I have spent the past few months delving into how-to-write-fiction books, something I never did before writing “Schizandra and the Gates of Mu.” I do feel proud of it as a first novel; however, I also see clearly how I will shift my future storytelling. Synchronously, the retirement date, November 1, occurs on what would be Schizandra’s 30th birthday, as well as the date I will return to writing fiction after an 8-year hiatus that began while writing Book 2 of the Schizandra series. You can read the strange story behind that hiatus by clicking here.

All of which is to say, if you’ve ever wanted to purchase “Schizandra and the Gates of Mu” and still want to, then you have two more weeks to do so. In honor of her 30th birthday on November 1, 2017, Schizandra will enter retirement for the foreseeable future, just as her creator comes out of retirement.

 




source https://laurabruno.wordpress.com/2017/10/16/retiring-schizandra-and-the-gates-of-mu/

No comments:

Post a Comment