Friday 27 October 2017

Garden Update: First Frost and the Indoor Garden

Thursday morning brought our first frost, about one month later than average. Seeing the forecast, I harvested the last of the tender things from outside — nasturtium flowers, peppers — and brought plant friends like geraniums, pineapple sage and several more indoors for the winter.

IMG_1505

As temperatures drop, lettuce, chard, kale, beets, arugula, and collards continue to provide more than we need. The first garlic shoots poked through the soil this week, and I received and planted seven perennial veggies on Wednesday, too. We now have Egyptian Walking Onions, a third rhubarb, two sea kale root cuttings and ramps. I also discovered what I think are ramps spontaneously growing behind the very active shed. If nothing else, the allium family will do well amidst the critters!

Finding new locations for all the indoor plants presented a few challenges, but I love our lush tree and jungle home, inside and out. The main bathroom feels downright tropical now:

FullSizeRender

Our plant loving friend, Tim (“Bombadil,” not Glenn), gifted me this fabulous cactus, which ousted the above spider plant for prime real estate in my magical writing office:

FullSizeRender

I come by my love of indoor plants honestly. Momma Jane has had a succulent and cacti collection as long as I can remember, and relocating her plants proved as important as the furniture during her 2016 move. I learned spritzing and talking to my plants from her. Although I’m a much better talker than spritzer, my plant babies do well, so long as I occasionally give them spring instead of tap water. When we had rain barrels, they loved that water the best, but we’ve not yet replaced the ones we left at Faery Hof in Goshen.

Oh, indoor plant babies, how I love thee! Thy number is only just exceeded by the garden beds and pots outside. Thank you for cleaning the air and filling our home with life.




source https://laurabruno.wordpress.com/2017/10/27/garden-update-first-frost-and-the-indoor-garden/

No comments:

Post a Comment